Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Chapter 23

Regina and Dr. Wexler nodded.

“That sounds about right to me,” Dr. Wexler said.

“So,” Regina said, “we know where they’re going to be. At least, tomorrow night. What do we do until then?”

Dashiell pondered. “Well first thing’s first. I’ve always said, ‘hope for the best, but plan for the worst.’ That means we need to get ready to deal with a potential army of the dead.”

“What about magic, Dash? Anyway you can deal with them?” Regina looked hopeful.

“I’m afraid not, Regina. I’m a decent enough warlock, when the situation demands. But against a demi-goddess? Even the best wizard or witch would be damn near powerless.”

“Well can you banish Hecate?” Dr. Wexler asked.

“Highly doubtful. Ironically enough, most banishing spells actually call on Hecate’s power to succeed. I doubt she’d be kind enough to lend us her power in her own banishment.”

“So that leaves the zombies,” Regina concluded. “Everything I know about zombies I’ve learned in the movies.”

“Surprisingly, they’re not far off,” Dashiell said. “Most zombie films get the basics right. Destroying the brain of a zombie is the most effective way to incapacitate it. Depending on the superstitions you follow, salt can also be effective. In Haiti, it’s said that a zombie that has tasted salt will return to its grave.”

“Is that going to work here, Dash? These aren’t Haitian zombies.”

“I know. I’m honestly not sure. But this opens up another possibility. Typically, holy symbols don’t work to repel zombies. But since these will be raised by a pagan goddess, it’s possible that Christian, Jewish, or Muslim holy symbols will repel them. Especially if they were initially of that religion. A piece of the soul animates the dead flesh. A Christian soul should rebel against pagan presence.”

“So salt, crosses and bullets. Got it. What about the witches?”

“I think I can handle them. But if necessary, they are mortal. Bullets will work on them. But that does remind me….” Dashiell reached into his shirt and pulled out the blue bead on its leather thong. He took it off and handed it to Regina. “Take this. Wear it at all times.”

She took it, giving Dashiell a quizzical look. “What’s this for?”

“Blue beads give protection against witches. That one is from my days with the Bureau, so it’s been fortified with extra spells of protection.”

She put it on, looking slightly worried. “What about you, Dash? Don’t you need something?”

“Don’t worry about it. I’ve got a knotted handkerchief and I always carry an acorn. They both bring good luck. Besides, I can try and find another blue bead before tomorrow night.”

“So what do we do until then?”

“Rest up and gather supplies. You should inform the Captain what’s going on. I’ll put in a call to some friends in the government. Otherwise, we just have to wait.”

He turned to Dr. Wexler. “Thank you for all your help Doctor.”

Dr. Wexler nodded. “You’re quite welcome. Good luck.”

Dashiell and Regina left the Library, heading back to Regina’s car.

Next>

5 comments:

Allan T Michaels said...

Last chapter before big action. I promise.

Anonymous said...

This story rocks.

Allan T Michaels said...

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoy it.

Kunama said...

She put it on, looking slightly worried. “What about Dash? Don’t you need something?”

I think you're missing a 'you' in there before Dash.

Allan T Michaels said...

You were right. Thanks for the catch, Kunama!