Saturday, July 26, 2008

Chapter 14

Dashiell and Regina walked back towards Regina’s car. “So where does that leave us, Dash?”

“That’s a good question. Jessica and Carolyn backed each other up. So unless you believe they are part of a conspiracy, that counts both of them out. And as we’ve discussed previously, it makes no sense for Watson to have done it.”

“It’s possible that the death was natural, Dash.”

“But that doesn’t explain the absence of a soul.”

“Well, Dash, do souls always hang around for a full six hours?”

“Typically yes. And as far as we’ve been able to determine, we were there within three hours. And I’m not aware of any cases where a soul departed in that short a time absent outside influences.”

“Well, Dash….” She hesitated, stopping outside the door to her car.

“What is it, Regina?”

“Is…is it possible Watson was right? Is it possible that something went wrong with the spell?”

Dashiell shook his head. “No Regina. I followed the proscribed spells. I’ve done them successfully before. Something took her soul.”

“But Dash….even you admit it’s been a while since you’ve performed the spell.”

Dashiell stiffened a bit. Regina, the spell was cast correctly. You haven’t doubted one of my spells since the first time we worked together.”

“I know Dash, but….”

“But what?”

“But unless we get something from the toxicology report, there’s nothing to indicate this death wasn’t natural, except for your inability to raise her soul. And all of our suspects have alibis. They don’t have opportunity, except for Watson, and he has no motive. And none of them have the means to make her soul disappear. Occam’s Razor says—“

“I don’t want to hear about Occam’s Razor, Regina. It rarely applies in my line of work, because Occam didn’t deal in the world of the occult.”

“I know, Dash…but we have to face facts.”

“And what fact is that? That I screwed up?”

“I’m not saying that Dash….”

“Then I’m not sure what you’re saying. Either I screwed up or someone killed Mrs. Scofield.”

“Well, Dash, if you come up with a suspect, be sure to let me know!”

Dashiell looked like he was about to respond when suddenly, his cell phone rang.

Next>

2 comments:

G.S. Williams said...

Hmmmm. Ever hear the superstition in Africa that cameras could steal your soul?

Allan T Michaels said...

Hmmm. That IS an interesting superstition....