Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Chapter 2

Dashiell absorbed this. “You believe?”

“Yes,” the man replied. He didn’t appear like he was going to add any more.

“Wouldn’t that be a matter for the police?” Dashiell asked, aware that Regina was listening in.

“It would, Mr. Aldridge, if I thought they’d rule this case a murder.”

“You have reason to doubt they would?” Regina piped up from the hall.

“May I ask to whom I am speaking?” The man’s manners were as impeccable as his cleanly pressed suit.

“That’s Detective Robbins, DCPD Homicide. You can see why she might be interested,” Dashiell replied.

The man nodded. “Very well, Detective. What was your question?”

“I asked,” Regina replied, “if you had reason to doubt the police would rule this a murder.”

“I do. A cursory examination of the body shows no evidence of foul play.”

“Well, there are still plenty of ways that someone could be murdered. If you’re that concerned, an autopsy would reveal if any poisons or other non-obvious methods were utilized,” Regina said.

“That would take too long, Detective. As I mentioned earlier, I’ve been led to believe that time is of the essence.”

“And why is that?” Regina inquired. “The body’s not going to get more dead.”

“May I explain on the way?” He directed the question to Dashiell.

“What is it you expect me to do?”

“Well, Mr. Aldridge, if I’m correct, I’d like you to summon the soul to tell us who killed her.”

Next>

2 comments:

G.S. Williams said...

oooh, Dash has a reputation!

Um, there's a "to" that should be a "too."

Allan T Michaels said...

Thanks Gavin. It took some looking. Apparently, I really like the word "to"! :)