Saturday, March 29, 2008

Chapter 14

It was nothing Dashiell could put his finger on, and he knew from long experience not to try and pin it down. It was more like his subconscious was sending him a message that something was coming down the pike, and to keep his eye out. After chewing on it for awhile, his mind would spit out the answer. For now, he’d just have to let it marinate.

“Just reading your report here Doc. I see you found some fibers?”

He nodded. “Yeah, a couple of dark threads. The zookeeper was wearing lighter colors, so they were inconsistent. Probably came from the killer. But they seemed pretty generic. Still, you can never tell. There may be something in the weave or the dye. Those guys at the lab can do amazing things these days.”

“That’s true. I guess I’ll keep my fingers crossed.” He then crossed his fingers.

The Medical Examiner looked a little askance at him, but shrugged. “Is there anything else I can do for you today, Mr. Aldridge?”

Dashiell shook his head. “I can’t think of anything. If you end up identifying the object that was used to kill the zookeeper, give me a call?”

“Of course.”

Dashiell headed out of the autopsy room and signed out with the young man working the front desk, and he stepped out onto the streets of Southeast D.C. He reflected again upon the choice to place the Medical Examiner’s office here. It made for shorter trips for most of the bodies that the M.E. would have to deal with.

He headed up to the Metro and tried to decide on his next move.

He now knew that whatever the tiger had been intended for, it wasn’t any mere folk remedy. That would help narrow down his research. But at the same time, that was the problem. Almost all of the uses for tigers were traditional cures. In fact, nothing in his books at the office contained anything that would fit. In that case, his course seemed obvious.

He grabbed the Metro to Capital South and headed north, to the Library of Congress.

Next>

4 comments:

ConcreteGuitar said...

Dashiell headed out of the autopsy room and signed out with the young man working the front desk, and Dashiell stepped out onto the streets of Southeast D.C.

"Getcha fresh story sentences here! Now with extra Dashiell!"

MistyCat

Allan T Michaels said...

Thanks for the heads up. I've fixed it.

And welcome!

ConcreteGuitar said...

You're welcome, and thanks for your welcome.

I wasn't exactly effusive about the story, but you can take that for granted. After all, there's a lot of stories on the Web, and I'm reading yours.
And looking for more superstition/OCD.

MistyCat

Allan T Michaels said...

I posted this on the main blog, but I'll put it here too.

Given my schedule over the next few weeks, I'm officially moving the update schedule to Tuesday and Saturday.

That should be more realistic given the other demands on my time from the real world.